Thursday, July 09, 2009

Whirlygiggles!


Poor picnic quilt kept getting put to the side! Now the top is done.


I love these whirlygiggles. I used the dimensions AmandaJean gave on her blog. I really liked the proportions of her pieces as well as the large size.




I knew the blocks would not be square - even with the seam, one edge is longer than the other.


You end up with extra on all four sides. Which is perfect for me! I lined my ruler up on the mid lines and trimmed 5 3/8" out from the center all around. Happy, square blocks!



I tried to outsmart myself, though and cut a couple of long, folded strips to piece. That works great for the white that doesn't have a right side. But all the prints ended up 'whirling' the wrong way.


I have a nice bag of these for another time now. I was careful not to flip my template upside down, but forgot about the fabric! So beware.


I also finished up my nine patch blocks with a super random group. Now it is onto the dreaded sashing - my least favorite thing.


Keep guessing on my trip! I'll pick the Neptune winner tomorrow.

10 comments:

Dresden Quilter said...

I love your quilt. I sighed when I saw it. I really like the beach ball fabric. Your nine patches look great. I am still only half way done.

Kris said...

I really like these whirly giggles and I love saying it. I can't help but smile! You did a great job and thanks for sharing the mistakes too!

heather said...

I remember having that same issue with my whirlygiggle quilt!! I had four or so whirly's that did not make me giggle.:) It looks GREAT. I need to do another one of those. Your 9 patches look FANTASTIC!!! I can't wait to see yours together. I know the sashing isn't fun but it's worth it in the end!!:)

Leslie said...

that whirlygiggle quilt is amazing. I love all the colors

peaknits said...

Very nice! I love the happy colors!

Audrie said...

Love the quilt top! It's definitely on my ever-growing to-do list hehe

Mark said...

I love your whirlygiggle quilt! It made me smile just looking at it!

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Hello and nice to meet you!

I love the whirly giggle quilt! What a great way to use up all of your scraps.

Looking forward to seeing your 9 nine quilt top!

Amanda Jean said...

i love your whirlygiggle. i really need to make one of those to keep! :) as for the 9 patches...sash a little bit at a time. it goes better that way. :)

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

angela it looks great!! and you caught up on your nine patches??.. wow!.. i'm still stuck at 35 and trying to decide if i'm gonna make it 1/2 the size...