Friday, December 18, 2009

Bookmark Tutorial and One More Project

These are the last of the gift sewing I did for teachers. They really are Perfect Box Pouches - made with that great tutorial. Becket filled his teachers' with chocolates.




Kenton's teacher got some bookmarks. (LOVE LOVE how the box came out with that Mendocino)

I figured out a few tips when making the bookmarks, so thought I would share a little tutorial. First you need to get the cover button kit - I used size #14. You can also buy refills if you want to make more than four. The kit comes with that blue and white thing that you use in assembly.



I found jumbo paper clips at Target. I liked these because they have a vinyl coating on them. No poky ends.



Use the template from the button packaging to cut fabric circles. I made a circle from freezer paper - iron it on and it says still while you cut.



Next, you just layer the fabric, button front, tuck the fabric, and finally the button back into the white tool. Use the blue thing to squash them all together. There's a little diagram on the button package. It's quite easy.



Now you need to heat up your glue gun until it has dripped a glue ball sculpture. That way it's flow-y enough to fill nicely.



Bend down the button eye with your finger, then put a blob of glue just below the center of the back. Lay the paper clip onto the blob and have something to prop it up a bit. I found that if you don't, the clip end will drop and the top will pop out of your glue. Do not push the paperclip into the glue with your finger. That just hurts.



Before it has hardened, I then go back and fill up the entire back and over the paperclip. If your glue is nice and hot, it makes a smooth solid back. Let them sit for a while to cool.



Watch out, it's addictive!

Well, school is out for Christmas break. So it's time for all those fun holiday activities (and then counting down the days until they return to school). Have a very Merry Christmas, may you enjoy all that you create!

17 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

this tutorial made me smile :) Have a great holiday!

Stephanie said...

I just made box pouches this week too. They are so quick and easy to make with such nice results in the end. Love the fabric you chose!

leigh said...

I LOVE those bags. So cute! What is the fabric on the middle bag (top photo)?

Jenny said...

Thanks for that tutorial...I am seriously going to try that this weekend! magnets...check, hairbands...check...on to bookmarks!

Life of Joy said...

I want to be on the end of your gift list. Fabulous as always. Merry Christmas :)

Karen said...

Cute little bookmarks Angela! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm an avid reader and so are my daughters, so I think I might have to try these! I love the gnome!

Kris said...

I love the half eaten gingerbread man! It's such a sign of the holidays! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Button Tutorial!! I have been wanting to make some of my own buttons, but was not sure how complicated it might be. I am now sure that I could get through the process;) Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Tonya said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have always liked those little book marks. Now that I know how easy they are, I definitely want to make them.

Dresden Quilter said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I like the idea of putting chocolates in the boxes.

sewtakeahike said...

uh oh! Mr. Gingerbread has been attacked!
Thanks for the cute tutorial on the bookmarks and all of your tips. I wondered how they were made, now I know!

Amanda Jean said...

those boxy pouches are adorable. i need to make some! what a perfect packaging solution. :)

Vicki said...

The button tutorial is great! Thanks for sharing. :)

Leslie said...

you are not kidding this is addictive. when i saw this the first time i knew i wanted to try it so this last time i went to the fabric store i picked up the kit and i giggled with delight the whole time. so did my avery, she made one and was addicted that instant!!! i can not wait to make more.

Unknown said...

This tutorial loos fast and easy, and yes addicting. I know what I'll be making soon!

medhadevdas said...

thanks for the tutorial

Viv said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I may have procrastinated to late for a Christmas gift (they got homemade marbled cards), but think teachers may enjoy those button bookmarks before spring or summer breaks, as well!